843-626-3689
Emergency Services
Shadow

Cooper Mechanical Blog

Home Electrical Problem Signs and When to Call a Professional

Posted by: Cooper MechanicalWednesday, May 25, 2016

Electrical panel

Like many major units and systems in your home or office, you might not consider the state of your electrical system until you encounter a problem that needs immediate attention. What is important is that you consider the potential dangers when dealing with electricity and call a Cooper Mechanical Services professional for anything outside of your comfort zone. In this blog post we will highlight some common electrical issues, some solutions you can implement at home, and some signs for when you should call our 24/7 Emergency line at Cooper.

Most homeowners are familiar with the electric panel located in out-of-the-way places like a garage, basement, or closet. The electric panel, sometimes called a breaker box or distribution board, is responsible for dividing incoming electric power into subsidiary circuits. The panel is usually in two columns and you are likely familiar with the labels next to each breaker switch indicating the location or outlet in your home receiving electricity through that circuit.

When you “trip a breaker,” your electrical system is cutting off the electrical supply to that particular room or outlet. This occurs as a built-in safety feature to prevent overloading, overheated wires, and generally all the things that could lead to an electrical fire or other disastrous situation. As a homeowner, a tripped breaker may be a sign that you are trying to draw more power than the supply. This may be because you have multiple appliances plugged into a single outlet box or on the same breaker. If this is the case, consider moving the appliance to an outlet on a different breaker. Likewise, circuit breakers may trip when they become old and worn out. If you’ve moved appliances and your breaker keeps tripping, it may be faulty and calling a Cooper Mechanical technician is recommended.

Additionally, being observant and aware of your senses when using electrical appliances and outlets can alert you to potential problems. Please call a CMS licensed electrician if you experience any of the issues below. These can lead to dangerous, potentially deadly situations if not addressed by a professional.

  • Shock: Receiving a small shock or tingle when when touching an appliance could be a sign of a ground fault problem or a wiring issue.
  • Sparks and Pops: Plugging in a cord to an outlet and see a spark or hear a loud pop? This could be loose or faulty wiring--definitely an issue that you shouldn’t troubleshoot yourself.
  • Odors: Burning or heating smells can also signal dangerous problems with wiring, circuits or appliances. Call a professional immediately.

In the above 3 cases, there are a couple simple things you can do while a Cooper professional is on his or her way to inspect your situation. Be sure to unplug any appliances that are part of or connected to the problem area. Additionally, consider turning the breaker switch off and cutting the supply to the room or outlet in question.