843-626-3689
Emergency Services
Shadow

Cooper Mechanical Blog

Should I Be Concerned about the Dimmer in My Home that's Hot to the Touch?

Posted by: Cooper MechanicalWednesday, May 20, 2015

Electrical and refrigeration repairs need to be addressed before they become potentially dangerous.

Electrical issues in the home

Making your home as safe as possible means dealing with electrical and refrigeration maintenance on a regular basis. Wiring can be tricky to monitor because it’s not something you see very regularly. If you’ve ever reached for a wall dimmer and been surprised to feel that it’s very hot to the touch, you might be aware there are other clues to monitor in the quest for electrical safety.

Living in all the glory of modern comfort, some homeowners forget the potential dangers lurking in the walls. You probably know the saying, “Where there’s smoke, there’s fire.” Well, the same goes for heat! Where there’s heat, there’s a reason. Determining if this reason is linked to a larger wiring problem is best left to a professional.

Many technicians agree that if there is an overheated dimmer in your home, it’s best to figure out the cause. While there is no guarantee it’s an indication your home is in immediate danger, some overloaded dimmers can be linked directly to fire hazards.

The most common cause of an overloaded dimmer is wattage. By wiring too many lights through one dimmer, you may inadvertently be overloading the maximum capacity of intended wattage. On the other hand, some dimmer switches may just be hot to the touch no matter what. Letting an expert handle this assessment is imperative, because it can result in electrocution or fire if you are not careful!

Get more information straight from the pros at Cooper Mechanical about electrical and refrigeration repair situations that commonly arise in homes.